Manifesto

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Sunday Mass Reflections 12/30/2012

I have decided to write about whatever profound thing happens to enter my mind during that extraordinarily important hour on Sunday morning every Sunday, so this is going to be the first of many Sunday Mass Reflections.

The story I bring to you all today is one not about wonderful Catholic piety or even a spiritual breakthrough that occurred to me during the homily or readings. It is the story of a pretty teenage girl and her family

I had gotten there early and was spending the minutes before mass in prayer, and in come walking a large family, with a girl about my age among their ranks, helping her Grandma who had a walker and needed to get to the pew every step of the way. She did it with the largest of smiles, with a happy disposition, like she was just joyous to be with her family. She was also exceedingly beautiful, and I must admit I had to mortify myself to keep concentrated on my prayers. Mass began, and once communion came around, I looked over to get into line, and there she was, helping her Grandma into line with the same smile on her face, and something peculiar happened.

She didn't get into line.

Now, there are 2 foreseeable reasons why she would not get into line to receive, either she was in a state of mortal sin or she did not believe in the real presence, but I am banking on the latter, as that is the most common reason and also because it is common sense not to receive something so highly revered which you do not believe in, whereas the other reason is solely a matter of doctrine which would be much harder to know about based solely on one's own thinking. Or maybe she is just super devout and had already received two times before, but seeing as it was 10:30, I highly doubt it. Either way, she didn't receive communion. At first, I was sorta disappointed, and I guess I still am. It is such a wonderful thing that you want everybody to receive it. After I received, however, I looked over to the family and she had her little sister in her lap, looking at a coloring book with her and still smiling, and I thought about how committed she must be to her family and how much love she must have for them to be willing to be dragged to Catholic mass (which is definitely not the most exciting of things for the onlooker) with them.

Obviously I would wish for her to enter into communion with the Catholic Church, but matters of Religious distinctions melted away in my mind and instead I began to reflect on the human love that I witnessed. Despite a difference in belief, the young girl was still part of their family, and she was so accepted and felt so loved that she was willing to go to mass with them just to help out. She could of stayed home and done whatever it is that teenage girls do, but instead she stayed by her family's side. It was an absolutely touching moment for me, and a great opportunity to peer into the realm of love that permeates the Gospel message.

I walked out into the front lobby of the Church and their she was yet again, slipping a glove and hat onto her little sister. Perhaps you had to be there or perhaps I am looking a bit too deep into this, but it was heartwarming to witness, and a reminder that we are all looking for the same thing, perfect love. As a human race, we all have a hole in our hearts that is searching for belonging, love, and family. We know that it is found in Christ, but just because someone else believes a different thing than we do, still our fundamental interest is the same, and still we can live together in harmony.

Hope you enjoyed the story.

Peace,
The Boy Pilgrim

No comments:

Post a Comment